Monday, April 23, 2012

The Santo Domingo Orphanage in Guatemala





Some people already know this but I have a soft heart and enjoy helping children all I can. I've never had children myself and it does not look very promising that I ever will. Who knows? I decided a few years ago to sponsor (4) girls at an orphanage in Santa Elena, Peten, Guatemala and I go visit them 2-3 times each year. Their names are: Kimberli, Brenda, Heydi, and Mishell.





In all, there are (38) girls between the ages of 4-18 years old who live at the orphanage and (10) nuns take care of them as needed. The orphanage does not get any help from the Guatemala government, so they rely only on donations to survive.



Anyone can sponsor one of the girls and can do so per month or annually. All of the girls I sponsor cost less than $300 USD each and the money pays for their school supplies, shoes, doctor and dental check-ups, and even their birthday party and cake.




The girls were accepted at the orphanage for various reasons. Some don't have a mother, some don't have a father, and some don't have either. There are some who were abandoned, while others were abused. It just depends on which girl's case a person looks at. For instance, two of the girls I sponsor, (sisters) Kimberli & Mishell, have neither parent. They both died long ago.




This little girl's name is Augustina and her mother died while giving birth to her. Her father already had five other children and could not take care of her or her older sister as needed. Both live at the orphanage now. The girls need some newer computers and also a newer television. I'm in the process of getting the money together to obtain all of this for them, mainly from the help of Donna Murray Hines, the mother of my late nephew; Chancelor Hunter Vandiver. Donna makes dolls for selling and the proceeds she gets from selling them is given to me for donating to the orphanage as needed. The link to her website is: http://www.giving-chances.com/




I have received a lot of donations in the past from good friends of mine, such as children's books in Spanish, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair bows & hair clasps and money. I take all donations that I receive and hand-deliver them to the nuns themselves when I go there.





They are always in need of bath soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, deodorant, cleaning supplies, bleach, washing detergent, filler foods, etc.. If anyone wants to contact the orphanage directly and speaks/writes Spanish, please contact the head nun there; Sor Marcella Scannu. A person can also go there to volunteer if they wish.







Contact information:

Hermanas Dominicas de San Sixto
Vicariato Apostolico de Peten
6a Avenida 5-30, Zona 1
17029 Santa Elena de la Cruz, Peten, Guatemala C.A.

Telephone - (502) 7926 0250
Email - sormarcellascannu@yahoo.es




 



No comments:

Post a Comment